Iris Germanica also called the Bearded Iris. This is due to the lower leaf of the petals, this is the 'Beard'. With special large flower heads and a multitude of colors, the Irirs Geranica is a true spectacle in the summer garden every year.
View as List Grid
- CutflowerIris germanica Blazing SunriseIris germanica 'Blazing Sunrise'€4.25Stock 23Blazing Sunrise is a stunning mixture of white over orange falls. This plant thrives on neglect, and will grow even in alkaline soils and dry spots. Learn More
- -25%CutflowerIris germanica Lilac RoseIris germanica 'Lilac Rose'Special Price €3.20 Regular Price €4.25Stock 100+As the name suggests Iris germanica Lilac Rose has beautiful large, rose pink ruffled flowers tinged with lilac and with a golden orange throats. Learn More
- CutflowerIris germanica All That JazzIris germanica 'All That Jazz'€4.25Stock 100+This stunning germanica Iris is very unusual, it has graceful golden and rust coloured Orchid-like blooms providing exceptional beauty for indoor... Learn More
- CutflowerIris germanica Metal BlueIris germanica Blue€4.25Stock 64Specially chosen for their hardiness, these beautiful germanica Iris will tower over your garden with orchid-like blooms. Prized by their rarity,... Learn More
- CutflowerIris germanica CrinolineIris germanica 'Crinoline'€4.25Stock 100+Crinoline is so spectacular, it's magnificent flowers bloom in a combination of white with crimson and purple ruffled edges and a yellow throat,... Learn More
- -25%CutflowerIris germanica October SunIris germanica 'October Sun'Special Price €3.20 Regular Price €4.25Stock 100+Add a touch of warmth to your borders with this striking golden Iris, these bold orchid-like blooms are mildly fragrant and make exceptional cut... Learn More
- CutflowerIris germanica WhiteIris germanica White€4.25Stock 46Add a touch of elegance and style to your borders with this radiant white Iris, these orchid-like blooms are mildly fragrant and make exceptional... Learn More
- -25%CutflowerIris germanica Purple Night SkyIris germanica Purple Night SkySpecial Price €3.20 Regular Price €4.25Stock 100+This spectacular germanica Iris will tower over your garden with deep purple exotic, orchid-like blooms. A jewel forgotten and then found again in... Learn More
- CutflowerIris germanica Mix Purple And WhiteIris germanica Purple and White€4.25Stock 19A plant so beautiful, it will impress everyone visiting your garden while this marvellous flower is in full bloom! This wonderfully fragrant... Learn More
- CutflowerIris germanica collection of 6€14.95Stock 19A great combination of 6 of the most beautiful Iris germanica plants yet available, they are all very vibrant and colorful. The collection... Learn More
- CutflowerIris germanica Mme Françoise DebateIris germanica 'Mme Françoise Debate'€4.25Stock 84Madame Francoise Debate provides spectacular beauty blooming with large peach blooms with salmon pink throats on lush green upright foliage. They... Learn More
- CutflowerIris germanica Salmon PinkIris germanica Salmon Pink€4.25Stock 100+This beautiful germanica Iris will tower over your garden with deep salmon pink, orchid-like blooms. Their showy blossoms are elegant and exotic, a... Learn More
- -25%CutflowerIris germanica Blue FlagIris germanica Blue FlagSpecial Price €3.20 Regular Price €4.25Stock 100+A plant so beautiful, it will impress everyone visiting your garden while this marvelous flower is in full bloom! This bearded flag Iris is... Learn More
- CutflowerIris combo Blue/Golden€14.95Only 8 leftIts extremely showy blossoms can be recognized at considerable distance and will be the envy of your neighbours. Sweetly scented too! Learn More
- CutflowerIris Germanica English CottageIris germanica 'English Cottage'€4.25Stock 100+English Cottage will tower over your garden with exotic orchid-like blooms beautiful and unique, they bring their fabulous grandeur and colour back... Learn More
- CutflowerIris germanica Edith WolfordIris germanica 'Edith Wolford'€4.25Stock 89Edith Wolford iris is a stunning tall variety with large ruffled blooms; bearing one of the most strikingly beautiful blossoms with pale yellow in... Learn More
- CutflowerIris germanica Blue/Gold/Purple/Pink€19.95Stock 16Great colours combined in one thrilling garden collection. They flower with magnificent flowers and can be recognized at considerable distance. Learn More
- -25%CutflowerIris germanica Grape AdventureIris germanica 'Grape Adventure'Special Price €3.20 Regular Price €4.25Stock 100+Be the envy of your neightbours with this wonderfully fragrant germanica Iris that bears rich velvety deep violet blooms with orange throats on... Learn More
- -25%CutflowerIris germanica Blessed AgainIris germanica 'Blessed Again'Special Price €3.20 Regular Price €4.25Stock 70This beautiful Iris produces many stalks of light yellow flowers with creamy white falls. Prized by their rarity, they will be the envy of your... Learn More
- -25%CutflowerIris germanica Golden EclipseIris germanica 'Golden Eclipse'Special Price €3.20 Regular Price €4.25Stock 100+A plant so beautiful, it will impress everyone visiting your garden while this marvellous flower is in full bloom! Fantastic bright golden blooms... Learn More
- CutflowerIris Tulip FestivalIris germanica 'Tulip Festival'€4.25Stock 65Fresh and dazzling this uplifting Iris has a decidedly fruity feel. Iris Tulip festival is a combination of white with a wonderful zesty lemon and... Learn More
- CutflowerIris combo Metal Blue/Silver Edge€12.95Stock 16Great combination of 2 wonderful irises, elegant and delicate ruffled blooms on tall slender stems for the partially shady garden, for by the pond... Learn More
- CutflowerIris germanica Peach JamIris germanica 'Peach Jam'€4.25Out of stockOut of stockIt is pale pink with purple splashes, burgundy lines and an orange red beard. Peach Jam is known to rebloom several times over the summer months. Learn More
- CutflowerIris germanica OrangeIris germanica 'Orange'€4.25Out of stockOut of stockThis Orange Iris is fresh and dazzling it's bold blooms make exceptional cut flowers for indoor bouquets.This exquisite varieties are slightly... Learn More
View as List Grid
Bearded Iris also knows as Iris Germanica
Iris plants are highly fragrant and very colourful, we ship the rhizomes direct from the nursery for best results.
Bearded Iris or Iris germanica is a group of iris cultivars grown from strong root rhizomes. Bearded Irises are known for their decorative silver grey sword-like foliage and spectacular fragrant flowers.
German Irises have beards of coloured hairs along the centre of each fall. German Irises like a sunny position in the garden and alkaline soil and almost thrive on neglect.
For best results plant Bearded Irises just below the surface, so that the top of the rhizome is only just exposed to the sun.
Other common names include common flag, german iris or bearded German Iris.
How to Care for Bearded Iris Germanica
Bearded Iris are exceptional plants, they thrive almost on neglect and yet flower with spectacular flowers and decorative foliage. They are very easy to grow.
Soak the roots prior to planting for 12 hours. Plant in an open sunny position with good drainage. Plant the tubers only ¾ down so that the top of the bulb is exposed on the surface of the Soil. Cover the top lightly with pure sand. Keep them well watered for the first two or three weeks after planting. Apply some organic fertiliser during early spring. Flowering may take one extra season, as they need to get settled. Keep them well watered for the first 6-8 weeks after planting. Flowering may take one extra season, as they need to get settled.
Apply organic fertiliser and a thin layer of compost around the base of plants each spring and again after the blooms are gone. To encourage a second bloom, cut the flower stalks close to the ground after the leaves have turned yellow.
Iris clumps can grow undisturbed for years, dividing being necessary when either the clumps become crowded or when vigor declines and blooms get smaller. Divide the plants (with a sharp knife or spade do not break or tear them) about every third year in early autumn and replant immediately. They do well in borders but along a pond too as a water side plant. (but not into the water!)